Internet users in the U.S. spend 3X more time on blogs than on email.
Not only that but every month, 70 million+ blog articles are posted on WordPress websites, generating nearly 80 million blog comments.
Most bloggers start their blogs to monetize their expertise and knowledge and create an extra income stream.
The remaining content is a beginner’s guide to the most popular blogging topics.
If owning a successful blog is your goal, keep reading to learn how to improve your chances.
The Most Popular and Most Profitable Topics to Blog About
Most bloggers blog about what they know.
However, starting a great blog isn’t as easy as simply writing about something you’re an expert on.
One of the keys to preparing a blog is ensuring you have sufficient topics and ideas to blog about.
One way to do this is to write at least 100 blog topics and ideas before beginning.
If you were to write two blogs a week, 100 topics would give you nearly 2-year’s worth of blog ideas.
Additionally, when starting out, you may want to consider the concept of guest blogging.
This involves contacting other blogging influencers and posting guest blogs on their website.
This can help gain you traffic and exposure to a new audience.
How to Pick a Blog Niche
Another essential task before starting a blog is to pick a subject to blog about.
If the blog is for your business, the most likely niche would be something about that business.
However, if it’s not about your business, there are many other methods to blog.
Below are several different methods for choosing what to blog about.
- Pick a blog niche you’re passionate about
- Understand how often you should blog
- Look for a niche with low competition but will gain more interest from your target audience
- Choose a niche in which you have some expertise, especially if you’re blogging about healthcare, finances, engineering, etc.
- Will your topic stay relevant over time?
- Choose a blog niche where advertisers will want to place ads
Here are some different topics and types of blogs you can choose from:
Food & Drink Blogs
Food in all its glory is an insanely popular blog topic with a huge variety of subtopics and niches.
That means there are a lot of people out there trying to do the same thing as you. Don’t fall into the category of blog niche saturation.
However, if done right, blogging about food can be very profitable.
Food critic bloggers, for example, go from restaurant to restaurant, sampling their dishes and passing judgment on their cuisine, service, ambiance, and prices.
Infatuation is one of the best, but there are thousands more.
However, food blogs on different blogging platforms with recipes, instructions, and cooking lessons are more popular than food critic blogs.
The subtopics are just as varied, from preparing certain foods to finding the right ingredients, cooking tools and utensils that are best for preparing food, and step-by-step instructions.
One of the biggest subtopics in the food blog niche is wine, beer, and spirits blogs that search far and wide to find the best adult beverages.
Craft beer bloggers are very popular, especially with craft breweries opening nationwide. (Beervana out of Portland is a standout.)
Wine blogs are no different, plus whisky, gin, scotch, and, well, name the spirit, and it’s likely got its new blog.
The Top 5 food and drink blogs include:
- Food52– One of the premier food blogs online today.
2. Serious Eats– A leading resource for all things delicious.
3. Deliciously Ella– A simple blog turned into a successful business!
4. A Pinch of Yum– Delish recipes are the heart of this top food blog.
5. Balanced Bites- A virtual nutritionist with tips on eating whole and healthy.
The fashion industry is massive and provides an equally massive number of niches to blog about.
Blogging about fashion and beauty has made some top fashion bloggers wealthy, although you must note that the topic is highly competitive.
Fashion blogging can also be time-consuming and require extensive travel and expense outlay. Plus, getting recognition usually takes several years and Herculean effort.
As with many of today’s blog topics, fashion and beauty have a wide range of subtopics.
You’ll find it all in one fashion blog or another, from the newest style trends to luxury, bespoke garments, textiles, footwear, fashion shows, and even how to sew fashionable clothing for yourself.
Some of the perks of being a fashion blogger are pretty sweet.
Free clothing is one of the best, often given to fashion bloggers in exchange for promoting a certain brand or model on their blog.
Some top fashion bloggers get invited to the swankiest fashion shows in cities like Milan and New York.
Even lesser-known fashion bloggers can do well as the topic is so big and in demand.
With literally thousands of sub-topics to choose from, fashion blogging is one of the most popular blog topics on the internet today.
The Top 5 fashion blogs include:
- The Zoe Report– All you need to know about fashion.
- Elle– One of the top fashion blogs by a top fashion mag.
- Yes Style– Focusing on style in Asia.
- Popsugar Fashion– All the styles and fashions being worn by celebs.
- Who What Wear– Celebrity style with a blog name to die for.
You’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t like to travel or constantly dreams of their next travel adventure.
One of the most popular searches on the internet is for travel, as millions hunt for information, advice, and reviews to plan their next vacation or trip.
Review blogs are some of the most popular in the travel niche, including reviews of resorts, hotels, vacation spots, tour packages, etc.
The subtopics for travel blog ideas are seemingly infinite.
Some focus on a specific city or country and give you everything you could want to know about the people, culture, and attractions.
Other travel blogs concentrate on getting great discounts for their followers on travel arrangements, including flights, accommodations, rental cars, and tour packages.
There are travel blogs for hikers, bikers, mountain climbers, and wine enthusiasts, all geared towards letting readers know the best and most beautiful places to enjoy their specific sport, hobby, or interest.
Perks can be fantastic for top travel bloggers, including free hotel stays, travel to specific locations and experiences, and discounts on various travel-related products.
One drawback is that you have to travel a lot if you want to write about traveling, which can be stressful.
Five of the top travel blogs include:
- Dan Flying Solo– A very well-done travel blog by a Lonely Planet Ambassador
- Y Travel Blog– A blog based on traveling with family
- The Planet D- Comprehensive travel guides, tips, and itineraries from a fun-loving couple
- The Blonde Abroad– Tips and info on how to travel solo plus inspirational writing
- The Points Guy– The best blog for travel discounts, airline points, and travel credit cards
Blogging has been a huge boon for photographers around the world, allowing them to show off their work to millions (and get paid for it).
Many people love seeing gorgeous photographs and hearing stories about how, where, and when the photographer took them.
For many photographers, blogging about photography can be a dream job that allows them to turn their hobby into a full-blown career.
Photography blogging is also an excellent method for a photographer to advertise their skills and get hired by new customers.
For example, it makes perfect sense to have a wedding photography blog if you’re a wedding photographer.
It gives potential clients a clear picture (if you’ll pardon the pun) of what you can do for them during their own wedding.
Many photography bloggers write about how they take their pictures and give their followers tips, advice, and information about becoming better photographers.
Subtopics in the photography blogging space include nature, fashion, portrait, equipment, and photo-editing program reviews.
There are even blogs dedicated to photographers who photograph food.
The Top 5 photography blogs include:
- Behind the Shutter– An huge catalog of photography tutorials.
- Creative Boom– Career tips and photography Gear reviews.
- Strobist– A blog geared towards lighting your photographs perfectly.
- The Phoblographer– Photography with a psychological twist.
- We Eat Together– The authoritative blog on food photography.
The number of parenting blogs has skyrocketed in the last few years, especially with the recent pandemic sending millions of children home from school to study virtually.
Even before then, however, the parenting blog niche was quite popular. One reason is likely that parenting is one of life’s most stressful (but rewarding) jobs.
Parents are always looking for parenting tips and hacks that will make it more of a reward and less stress.
Parenting blogs aren’t just for moms, either.
Thousands of dad bloggers give their input and advice and put their parenting experiences down on virtual paper.
One of the most popular subtopics in the parenting blog niche is being a single dad (or mom) and raising kids single-handedly.
There are even blogs about being an older parent and dealing with the trials and tribulations of parenthood while also getting older.
Some parenting blog ideas focus on reviewing baby and child products, including clothing, toys, and sports equipment.
Baby food and foods specifically for kids are also a big topic, plus how to discipline kids in today’s modern world.
Some of the top parenting bloggers have masses of devoted fans who reward their advice, tips, and insights with a generous affiliate income stream.
Below are the top 5 parenting blogs, including:
- Scary Mommy– Extremely popular blog with provocative and insightful opinion pieces.
- Support for Stepdads– A blog to help stepdads cope.
- Parenting today from the Child Development Institute– Top parenting blog from the experts.
- BabyCenter– Everything a woman needs to know about being pregnant.
Health and Fitness Blogs
In today’s health-obsessed world, it’s no wonder health and fitness bloggers are incredibly popular.
From how to get in shape to eating well, fasting, exercise equipment reviews, and many more, health and fitness blogs span many topics and subtopics.
Certified personal trainers, dietitians, fitness experts, and more have gotten involved in health and fitness blogging.
One drawback when blogging about health and fitness that we should mention is that legally speaking, it’s a topic that could land you in hot water.
If you’re not a medical professional, it’s essential that you let your followers know this and advise them to seek medical help if needed.
Some health and fitness blogs have been shut down for providing medical information without the proper licensing.
Still, whether a medical professional or not, blogging about health and fitness is an excellent way to build a following, monetize your expertise and create an extra income stream.
The range of subtopics is vast, and the demand for quality information, tips, and hacks on staying healthy and fit are massive.
They include physical and mental health, dieting, healthy snacks, and even what to wear when exercising.
The Top 5 health and fitness blog ideas include:
- Mark’s Daily Apple– Amazing content from a lifetime fitness expert.
- Carrots ‘n’ Cake- Focuses on women who want to become fit and healthy.
- Breaking Muscle -One of the best blogs for serious bodybuilders.
- Advanced Human Performance -An award-winning fitness in personal training blog.
- Blogilates– A huge variety of fitness and health content, including recipes, workouts, diet plans, etc.
There are few DIY blog topics more popular than woodworking.
Creating something with wood, for many people, is extremely satisfying and woodworking bloggers know this.
Some of the best are world-class carpenters who share their advice and tips on how to get the best results from a raw piece of wood.
Most woodworking blogs include how-to articles, resources for procuring different types of wood, tool reviews, and the latest woodworking tips and tricks.
The beauty of wood is that you can use it to create so many different things.
Wood is used in almost every facet of human life from your typical table and chairs to magnificent sculptures, beautiful frames for artwork, or the entire frame for a house.
Subtopics in the woodworking blog space are as varied and unique as the different species of wood you can use to create.
Some blogs concentrate on home construction and remodeling, while others go deep into the details of creating wooden toys.
Cabinet making is a very popular woodworking blog niche, as are wood sculpting, how to lay a solid wood floor, and blogs for refurbishing and refinishing antique wooden furniture.
Five of the top woodworking blogs are below, including one from celebrity Nick Offerman:
- Offerman Woodshop– What more can you say about a top woodworking blog by the star of “Parks and Recreation”?!
- The House of Wood– A female Centric DIY wood blogger that includes furniture building, home renovation, and more.
- The Rogue Engineer– Step-by-step plans for all the furniture your home could need.
- The Handmade Home– a wide variety of inspirational ideas and projects for your home.
- Jays Custom Creations– Plans for some cool creations and projects.
Crafting and DIY Blogs
One look at Etsy, the DIY craft marketplace, proves that crafting is incredibly popular.
Almost anything highly popular also makes an excellent blog topic, and thus there are thousands of crafting and DIY blogs.
One caveat about starting a crafting and DIY blog is that creating videos to go with your blog articles is essential.
That’s because many crafts require many different steps to complete.
Many people are visual learners and will have a better experience if they see something being explained on video rather than reading it in a blog.
Indeed, many of the best craft and DIY bloggers are also popular YouTubers.
Crafting may be one of the biggest blogging topics available simply because there are so many different DIY crafts.
From selling your clothes to making toys, crocheting, knitting, and creating decorations and cards, the list goes on and on.
One DIY blog niche involves activity blogs for kids that are extremely popular and blogs many parents flock to. The Top 5 crafting and DIY blogs include:
- A Beautiful Mess– All sorts of wonderful DIY and crafting content brought to you by two talented sisters.
- Paper and Stitch-. Started by an art teacher ten years ago and is now her main business!
- Lovely Indeed– This blog has grown to include crafts and home decor. It started as a showcase for wedding projects.
- Almost Makes Perfect– Crafting elevated to a higher art form.
- Aunt Peaches– Simple, inexpensive projects and kids’ crafts.
Personal Finance Blogs
When you consider that personal finance is something most people are never taught, it’s no surprise personal finance blogs are so popular.
Millions of folks don’t even know the basics of finance, including how to create a budget, take out a loan, or start a retirement fund for themselves.
Personal finance bloggers fill this massive gap, giving their followers sound financial advice and tips on making better financial decisions.
There are finance blogs to create wealth, manage money, create multiple income streams, and start a business.
Some of the top personal finance blogs are followed by hundreds of thousands of people who willingly exchange their time for advice that saves them money.
One of the bigger personal finance subtopics is retirement planning, which grows larger daily as the population ages.
Blogs ideas on how to invest in the stock market are also popular, as well as blogs on investing in different foreign markets.
One of the most popular finance blogs of all is Get Rich Slowly.
It’s also one of the original finance blogs that started in 2006.
Five of the top personal finance blogs include:
- Smart Passive Income– Articles on entrepreneurship, passive income streams, and side hustles, among others.
- I Will Teach You to Be Rich– The name says exactly what the blog aims to do.
- Wise Bread- Advice on saving, investing, Financial Planning, and reducing debt with straightforward explanations and real-life situations.
- Mr. Money Mustache– A wide variety of money-saving tips, tricks, and hacks
- Money Crashers– A well-written blog from financial industry teachers and advisors.
Automobile bloggers tap into this love for anything and everything on four wheels, bringing their followers a wide range of car and truck topics.
Classic and collectible car blogs are hugely popular, especially the famed “muscle cars” that came out of Detroit in the 1960s and 70s.
Customizing a car is a huge hobby, and many automobile blogs focus on customization tips, hacks, and techniques.
There are numerous blog topics in the automobile blogging niche, from those focusing on one specific automobile brand to others that dig into the history of cars and the many revolutionary advancements made in the auto industry.
How to repair and refurbish cars and trucks is a huge subtopic, especially among the DIY car repair crowd.
Some blogs focus on investing in cars and flipping cars for extra cash.
Car bloggers travel the world searching for, driving, and reviewing cars, and some of the perks include invites to exclusive car shows and auctions.
Automotive products are always given to car bloggers for reviews and mentions, and some of the top auto bloggers are world-famous.
One of the best automotive car blogs today is Jalopnik which features a wide range of automobile topics, news, and reviews.
One of the most trusted auto blogs today is produced by Motor Trend, whose original print magazine dates back to 1949.
The Top 5 auto blogs include:
- YourMechanic– The ultimate go-to blog for repairing and diagnosing auto problems.
- Motor Verso- Luxury, high-performance cars are the focus of this excellent blog.
- Motor Trend– One of the best automotive blogs written by a premier American automotive magazine.
- Car Talk– This blog is for you if you want your car to go faster.
- Girls Auto Clinic Blog– An excellent automotive blog geared toward women who love cars.
Wedding and Bridal Blogs
The wedding industry is one of the biggest globally, especially in the United States and many other countries, popular for honeymooners.
Millions of people get married yearly, and thousands of wedding and bridal bloggers help them prepare for the big day!
The sheer volume of different wedding blogs is astounding, as well as the number of subtopics in the wedding blog niche.
Many bridal blogs focus, of course, on the bride, including her all-important gown.
Other wedding blogs focus on planning the event, what food to eat, and how to have your wedding outdoors.
There are thousands of wedding photography blogs and even super-niche blogs about wedding cakes.
One very popular wedding blog niche is how to throw a wedding party on a budget or have the wedding reception at home.
The Top 5 wedding and bridal blogs include:
- Ruffled– Advice on throwing a luxurious wedding along with DIY guides and honeymoon planning tips.
- Love, Inc– One of the more engaging wedding blogs specializing in inclusivity.
- The Knot– Your One-Stop source for everything you need to know to get married.
- Green Wedding Shoes– A fashion-focused wedding blog for everyone from the bride to the flower girls and ring bearers.
- A Practical Wedding– Tips, budgets, and timelines to help you get through your wedding day unscathed.
Business and Entrepreneurship Blogs
When you ask many of the most successful entrepreneurs and business people what they owe their success, many will answer with one word; reading.
Not surprisingly, if you press further, many successful business people will admit that a lot of the information they read comes from business blogs.
Blogs that focus on starting a business from scratch are very popular, especially today, as entrepreneurship continues to be popular.
Many business blogs focus on changes in a specific industry, while others delve into the ins and outs of marketing, advertising, and brand building.
As with many of the most popular blogging topics, there are hundreds of different subtopics in the business and entrepreneurship blogging space.
If you’re going to be a business and entrepreneurship blogger, one caveat is that your knowledge must be on point.
It’s one thing, for example, to give someone advice on how to bake a cake or make their own table from scrap wood.
It’s another altogether to advise someone on investing a quarter of a million dollars in a new business.
Business Insider is an excellent example of a well-run, insightful, impactful business blog.
From the latest economic news to interviews with top entrepreneurs, trend analyses, and market predictions, thousands of business people start their day with this excellent blog.
The Top 5 Business Blogs include
- Business Insider – The best business journalism in blog form.
- Entrepreneur – Interviews, book reviews, and business news.
- Fast Company– The latest advice and Leadership ideas on growing a business.
- Harvard Business Review – Well-written, influential articles make this a must-read business blog.
- Small Business Trends – The top small business trends include marketing, management, and technology.
News today travels around the world at lightning speed.
Depending on what news is important to you, you can read one of the thousands of news blogs that will fill you in on the latest stories and the people at their center.
News bloggers come in a wide variety of flavors, from business news to entertainment, sports, religion, and international news, to name just a few.
Today, people are looking for news sources they can rely on to provide fair, unbiased accounts of what’s happening and every news story’s who, what, where, and why.
The Top 4 news blogs include:
- The Daily Beast– With over a million visitors daily, The Daily Beast is just that, a news beast.
- Mashable– The best blog if you want the latest on culture, technology, and video entertainment.
- HuffPost– Thousands of bloggers write for this major news blog covering every major category of news and most of the subcategories.
- TechCrunch– All the news you need to know about the latest technological breakthroughs.
If there’s one thing about the marketing industry, it is constantly changing.
Trying to keep up with marketing is an almost impossible task for small and medium-sized business owners.
To do it, many entrepreneurs and business owners look to various marketing blogs online.
Marketing bloggers engage their readers with the latest marketing trends, how to improve marketing campaigns, and the newest marketing technologies.
There are quite a few subtopics in the marketing blogosphere, from content and digital marketing to social media, SEO, email, you name it.
Some of the most popular marketing blogs are known for taking confusing subjects and simplifying them for the layperson.
Others give solid advice on running digital marketing campaigns as well as real-world, brick-and-mortar marketing.
There are, of course, plenty of blogs that focus on marketing trends and best practices.
The top 4 marketing blogs include:
- Digiday– Covers a wide array of digital marketing topics, including online marketing, video marketing, and blog posts.
- Content Marketing Institute– One of the best blogs for content marketing being digitally published today.
- Copyblogger– All you need to know about the most important part of selling online; the copy.
- Social Media Today– An excellent blog for best business practices when marketing via social media.
The Most Popular and Most Profitable Topics to Blog About: Honorable Mentions
Today’s list of the most popular blogging topics features the best of the best, but there are so many others we felt it necessary to give several more at least a shout-out!
Below are the best of the rest of the blog topics:
- Affiliate Marketing Blogs
- Pet Blogs
- Product Reviews Blogs
- Gaming Blogs
- Interior Design Blogs
- Personal Blogs
- Sports Blogs
- Life Hacks Blogs
- Mental Health Blogs
- Lifestyle Blogs
Now You Understand The Most Popular Blogging Topics
Today’s list of the most popular blogging topics is relatively short compared to the absolutely massive variety of blogs you’ll find online at any given moment.
Of course, the biggest challenge is finding the time to write and edit a blog, especially as an entrepreneur or small business owner.
Still need a little help?